With increasing number of passengers every year, railway is becoming an essential means of transport for the modern transportation industry. During the last few decades the industry has experienced an enormous growth and development due to investment from government and public sector across the globe.
Due to the massive development in the railway industry during the past few decades, certain risks to life safety and railway business assets have increased. Among several other risks, the risk of fire is probably one of the crucial one which needs in-depth consideration as it claims several life and damage to the railway property every year.
As a part of railway fire safety engineering, we advise our clients in every phase of railway development projects; to enhance the level of fire protection for railway station, tunnels, buildings, and much more. This covers several issues related to fire safety to comply with the National Building Code of India, NFPA, BSEN standards and several regional codes of practices as well. Our services also include consultation with all the parties involved in railway projects, such as the client, local authority, fire brigade, and insurance companies, who we work with in achieving the goal of ultimate fire safety within our clientâ€™s requirement.
Railway Life Safety, Business Continuity and Asset Management Services
Members of our team have contributed to many large-scale international railway projects, in a variety of roles, acting as consultant, independent reviewer, or an authority with jurisdiction and our work involves the following:
- Working with architects, developers and sponsors to define station configurations and developing fire safety strategies for railway premises.
- Designing tunnel ventilation and fire suppression systems in accordance with national and international codes.
- Conducting qualitative and quantative fire risk assessment.
- Designing and specifying for fire alarm, detection and PAVA system.
- Developing building code criteria, fire safety principles and guidelines for railway industry
- Post fire investigation
- Reviewing architectural drawings to comply with agreed fire safety standard or fire safety specification.
- Providing independent review services for railway development.
- Analysing flame propagation, smoke movement (CFD Modelling), fire development and people movement in railway premises.
- Preventing external fire spread from railway premises.
- Developing fire safety operational/control procedures for railway industry.
- Implementing and administer construction approvals processes.
- Auditing the construction-control process
Our fire safety engineering team offers advice on a wide range of fire-resistant materials and construction strategies for stations and buildings.
Based on several fire testing records, engineering assessments and expertise, we offer a wide spread of service for structural fire protections and surface spread of flame.
In addition to this, we have developed special numerical calculative methods to predict external fire spread to meet the British and European standard requirements for external fire spread.
We can provide a wide range of services for design, specification and delivering several kinds of smoke and fire suppression systems based on our clients requirements. Our service to smoke movement and fire suppression system involves the following:
- Smoke Movement Calculation
- Designing Mechanical & Natural Ventilation
- Zone Modelling & CFD Modelling
- Design and specification of gaseous fire suppression system (C02 flooding, FM200 etc).
- Design and specification of water based fire suppression system (Sprinkler, HVWS and water mist system).
Fire-containment and fire resisting compartmentation
According to several national and international building codes, building fires should be restricted within certain boundaries therefore buildings are divided into several fire resisting compartment boundaries. The fire containment method and determination of the size of the compartment is based on various decision making models and requirements from fire engineering standard such as Indian Standard, National building code, BSEN, NFPA, etc.
Using our risk and hazard management procedure with expertise in large, medium and small scale fire test we are able to provide solution to non-code compliant building designs for its safe operation.
Post Fire Investigations
Despite all fire precautions and measures, if a fire breaks out, it is critical to analyse how it occured. We can add to the practical knowledge held by forensics experts and other investigators through their specific knowledge of fire science.
Due to our wide range of expertise in fire engineering products, engineering calculative methods, design and installation of fire safety engineering systems we are able to carry out post fire investigation and provide advises and develop new fire engineering standard for the railway industry.